The St Albans Striders membership year runs from April to March each year, concurrent with the England Athletics membership year.
The cost for club membership for the full year or any part of it is £27. If you have volunteered at a Striders event between 1 April 2017 and 31 March 2018 then you are eligible for volunteer membership at the discounted rate of £17.
The track is now finished which means from Tuesday 11th December, we will move the road interval sessions back to the track, although Mike Bridges and Gladstone's road sessions will continue. The track sessions for this year will be:
11th December - Continuous 1km reps (up to 5-6) with a 200m jog/walk recovery on the outer lanes.
18th December - Festive Paarluf, time dust off your Christmas hats and tinsel for the final track session of the year.
The track will be closed on 25th December and 1st January. Try and find a parkrun or two or go get for a tempo run.
A new track schedule for the year will be on the website soon, so please check for updates.
With the track now back in action, its probably the best time to remind every one of the track etiquette and rules to help keep you safe and keep the track in a good condition.
1. During training sessions, the inside lane of the track will be coned off to help reduce wear. All runners should stay within lanes 2-6.
2. Runners should stay in the inside lane whilst running their efforts. Allow runners passing you to run on the outer lanes.
3. As you finish your rep, don't just stop as they may be a runner behind you. Run through the line and gently slow to a jog and then stop.
4. More than one session may be going on at the track at the same. Always check who is running as you walk on to the track and as you finish rep as you may need to move to another lane so not disrupt someone else. Once the session has started move off the track to do things like tie your shoes laces, drink some water etc.
5. During a session if someone is on the track but not paying attention and is standing in the way, shout track to get their attention and so they can move out of way. If someone has shouted track, check quickly, to see if you need to move.
6. Try not to run more than two abreast as large packs of runners can be dangerous and block other runners. More than two abreast is only OK at the start of the rep or whilst passing.
7. Don't wear headphones or use your mobile on the track as you will not know what is going on around you.
8. If you are crossing the track, look both ways just like a road to make sure its safe to cross.
9. If during your effort, you move from the inside to the outside lanes, have a look back first to make sure a faster runner isn't about to pass you, this will avoid collision.
10. Spikes can not be used during extreme cold weather/frost as this can damage the track surface.
11. Try to stay off the grass especially when it is muddy so mud isn't brought on to the track surface.
12. Listen to the coach's instructions.
13. Most importantly have fun!!!