The St Albans Striders membership year runs from April to March each year, concurrent with the England Athletics membership year.
The cost for club membership for the full year or any part of it is £26. If you have volunteered at a Striders event between March 2016 and April 2017 then you are eligible for a discounted membership of £18.
What is Run With Striders?
Fitter, Faster, Further
Our course is for runners who are new to Striders, currently running at least 5K distance (preferably within 35 minutes or faster) who want to meet other runners of their level and pick up some ideas and tips to improve their running. It’s a gentle introduction to all the different aspects of the club. We help take the worry out of getting started by offering:
• Organised runs led by a group of experienced runners
• Different runs to suit different paces
• Activity and technical based speed/hill sessions
• A safe and sociable environment to run round our great city & countryside
• Additional weekend social runs, including a parkrun breakfast
• All this, and free entry to St Albans Striders Solstice 10k race and Strider Club membership until the end of the current year
When are the courses?
Our next course starts on 8th May 2018 and will run on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 7-8pm. Registration will openly shortly, please revisit this site.
Who is it for?
The course is for any runners already running at least 5K, at any pace (to enable us to group effectively we do recommend that your 5k can be completed in 35 minutes). If you are interested in joining the club but apprehensive about 'turning up', would like to improve your running, or simply run in a sociable environment and make friends this course is perfect for you.
200 people have already joined St Albans Striders through previous courses, and our groups have varied from people who have just run their first 5K through to those who have been running for a long time. We cater for slower and speedy runners and we split into smaller groups accordingly.
Run with Striders Course Details
• 2 x 1 hour evening sessions per week (Tuesdays & Thursdays 7-8pm)
• Friendly Striders members volunteer to accompany your runs
• Runs around the beautiful Verulamium Park and surrounding area
• Progress at your own pace until you feel OK to try a run with our existing groups
• Training on warm-ups, cool-downs and stretching
For your own benefit, try to come along to all of the sessions. Lots of us struggle to leave work on time, find childcare or battle with delayed trains! Having said that, it’s much easier to get there if you put those sessions in your calendar now and let people know you have a commitment on those nights. You will receive an email before the course starts providing information on where to meet etc.
What will I need?
• Running trainers
• Comfortable running clothes
• Water for afterwards
How can I sign up?
Online registration will be available via this website. We can’t accommodate people turning up without registering as we won't have enough run leaders to offer safe sessions.
On your registration form you will need to tell us how long it takes you to run 5K, along with some other information about your running and fitness, to help us provide appropriate sessions for you. If you don’t know your 5K time, you can take part in the local Parkrun in Verulamium Park on any Saturday at 9am (free but you need to register in advance) or time yourself round a route that you know to be 5K.
If you have any questions about the course that are not covered here, please email the Run with Striders team.